The Small Group Experience
Jesus promised that He "would not leave us orphans", that He and the Father would "abide with us", and that the Spirit would be "in us and with us".
- We believe His promise that "where two or three are gathered together in His name, He is in their midst."
- Jesus prepares us as individuals and as a community to touch the spiritual and physical hurts and needs of those we meet during the week.
- The goal in each meeting should be to experience Christ's indwelling presence, His edifying power and His ministering purpose in our lives.
The Meeting Format
- It's very helpful to begin the first 15 minutes of the meeting with a time of open fellowship and food. It really helps in getting people warmed up towards one another.
- Most meetings could begin with short time of worship. This could be an opportunity for gifts of the Spirit to come forth during this time or even during other parts of the meeting.
- An ice-breaker question could be asked of which each member of the group should respond to. This is should be a non-threatening question such as "What was the most significant thing that happened to you this week?" The ice-breaker question is important because it opens eveyone up to one another and makes it easier to receive from one another as the meeting progresses.
- There will be a learning time which could consist of: Bible study, group discussion, discussions on spiritual needs and principles, or activities to strengthen fellowship in the community. As a leader you are more of a facilitator than a teacher although you will teach somewhat. The goal is to really lead the group in discussion getting everyone involved and particpating.
- There should also be a time of reflection as to what work of Christ's power and grace He may wish to do in your lives in relationship to the lesson. This could be a time for gifts of the Spirit to flow such as word of knowledge or wisdom. You may want to divide up into smaller groups to pray and minister to one another during this time.
- There should be a time of praying for one another for a particular need or as to how Christ may want to use you to minister to someone during the week - This could also be a time for gifts of the Spirit to flow.
- If Holy Spirit wishes to interrupt the flow of any meeting, He should have perfect liberty to do so. Don't be so intent on finishing the lesson that you miss out on how the Holy Spirit wants to minister.
Small Group Objectives
A Successful Community Group will Experience Many of the following Objectives during the course of the Group
- Kingdom of God
- Signs & Wonders
- Shared Love
- Conflict Resolution